CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Off the Road: California: The Tempest

HowlRound: I was wrestling the last of my suitcases out my front door. It had taken two trips to get them all down the stairs, and I was boldly hoping to take them all at once now that I was on level ground.

“Oh, excuse me!” I said, pulling my luggage out of someone's path as they tried to come in the door. It was my new neighbor with a friend.

“Where are you headed?” they asked me, taking in my baggage situation.

1 comment:

Alex E. S. Reed said...

Talking about a tiny tiny world. I was the first student from my high school to go to Carnegie Mellon, when I told people about what school I was going to I'd either get blank stares of questions as to why I was going to a community collage so far from my home town. The latter of which was met by a level of frustration and useless explanations falling on selectively deaf ears that I'm not necessarily proud of. At any rate, I was sitting in Skibo and a girl came up to me and asked if I was Alex Reed. (My obvious response was no of course). I told her I was and this girl, it turns out was from my high school, She was two years behind me so we hadn't formally met. But she happened to have two teachers i had in my Sophomore year and some how that vague connection led her to recognizing me in a cafe on campus. We had a short conversation about how everything was back home, but what really stuck with me was the fact that this previously annoying fact that know one knew about my school, actually resolved itself. I've even started talking to my old teacher again.