CMU School of Drama


Sunday, October 25, 2015

Every 28 Hours: Creating a Performance for Ferguson

HowlRound: While sitting at the airport in Providence, RI, I await my flight to St. Louis, MO. I am anxious. I am excited. I am humbled. I am emotional. I am scared. The past few months have been a trial. There has been a lot of loss, but triumph as well. I was intrigued when Trinity Rep asked me to represent them in Ferguson for a weeklong residency produced by Oregon Shakespeare Festival, and a grass roots theatremaking organization called The One Minute Plays Festival. And of course, I said yes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I could not be more excited just by the idea of this. I have wondered when we would see some theatrical works inspired by the rampant police brutality that we've seen increasingly shown in the media recently. It feels as if it's always been present, but now the mainstream is waking up to it. I've always dreamt up a myriad of ways that the theatre could take on this giant issue, and it just gives me a big feeling of relief that it's actually happening. There haven't been too many ways that we've seen art take on this particular issue so publicly up to this point, or anything that has gotten much publicity, but theatre could be perfect for that. I think that the relationship between the stage and the audience couldn't be more perfect for the kind of careful intimacy that an issue like this needs.