CMU School of Drama


Friday, May 01, 2015

August Wilson’s 70th birthday a grand celebration of Black culture

New Pittsburgh Courier: It’s fitting that the 2015 observance of August Wilson’s birthday took place at Downtown’s revived August Wilson Center for African American Culture. The evening’s program was a kaleidoscope of culture filtered through Wilson’s words, muse and how it moved those touched by his vision and interpretation; ultimately it was a celebration of the playwright and August Wilson’s women.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm going to be 100% honest. Before I came to CMU, I had no idea who August Wilson was. I had read A Raisin in the Sun, it was my favorite play, however I had no idea about the playwright and his Pittsburgh Cycle. After spending my second semester in Cameron's acting class, I realized how much I have missed. August Wilson wrote the language of my people in his plays. His materials are things that i should strive to play in my future career. After working on Fences, I feel that I know what kind of actor I would like to be. I hope that one day I will be able to play all the female characters in A raisin in the Sun, I want to dig deeper and learn more about this unique human being. <54-102> <54102> 54102 54-102