CMU School of Drama


Thursday, April 16, 2015

UCLA to Host Entertainment/Sports Labor Conference

The Hollywood Reporter: The UCLA Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, whose focus is usually on traditional unions and workplaces, is going Hollywood this weekend, hosting a conference that looks at the unusual nature of work in the entertainment industry and its equally bespoke sibling, the sports industry.

The meeting, titled “Labor, Entertainment, & Sports: An Intersectional and Interdisciplinary Inquiry,” is a two-day, all-day affair, Friday and Saturday, April 17-18, at the Crowne Plaza Beverly Hills Hotel.

1 comment:

Drew H said...

This event is not what I thought it was going to be. I was imagining it was an event that brought the behind the scene workers of entertainment and sports together. Incase you have never heard me talk about it, which is uncommon; I worked on the Grounds Crew for the Baltimore Orioles this past summer. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I was one of those guys that preps the field before the game, cleans it up after the game and comes out to brush it up after the third and sixth inning. I wanted to do this job for the same reason I love working backstage in a theater. It is so cool to see what work goes into making magic. So many people love walking into a baseball stadium, seeing the amazingly green grass, the contrasting perfectly brushed infield dirt and the sharp, crisp foul lines the same way they love walking into a theater and seeing a street corner or their childhood house on stage. The grounds crew and theater technicians have so much in common and I was hoping this event brought the two together.