CMU School of Drama


Thursday, April 02, 2015

Stage Review: 'Beauty and the Beast' returns to cast its timeless spell

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Beautiful to gaze upon and a delight to revisit, this latest touring version of “Disney’s Beauty and the Beast” is a reminder that the animation giant’s leap to live theater was launched with this timeless tale, reimagined from a Best Picture Oscar nominee.

The musical opened on Broadway in 1997 and ran for seven years and more than 5,400 performances before becoming a touring staple.

1 comment:

Fiona Rhodes said...

Though I have seen the movie version of this several times, it was never my favorite Disney movie. I never thought of it as particularly compelling…for reasons unknown. So, I would be interested to see how the musical pans out. I would be curious to see it mostly for the way that they transform the beast, and how the theatrical magic works to create the world shown in the movie. Especially considering that it was a movie first, and that so many people know the world of the movie so well, I would be interested to know how they changed it to fit the stage without messing with the world too much. I was surprised to learn that it has been touring for so long, and that it has been so successful- As I said, I wasn’t particularly attached to the movie so I have never thought of it as something I would need to go and see.