CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Podcast Episode #14 – David Rockwell, Designer of, well, Everything.

The Producer's Perspective: I can’t draw. I can’t decorate. And the bird house I built in shop class was only valuable for the air rights.

So I’m in serious awe of all designers. But it’s not just because they can put colors and shapes together that are both pleasing and challenging to the eye. It’s because in addition to their gifts with aesthetics, designers have incredible scientific knowledge. The job is an incredible juxtaposition of both the left and right sides of the brain, and the people that do it are their own brand of genius.

And the people that do it in multiple mediums? Now those guys and dolls are something.

1 comment:

Drew H said...

I want to be this guy. I love that he is immersed in so many aspects of design and not just theatrical design. I have no clue what I want to do with my life but I am pretty sure I don’t want to be designing sets the whole time. Maybe I will go down the technical director path and build sets or use what I learn and go into the construction industry. I don’t know, but what I do know is I like doing a lot and I like my work to have variety so I am always excited for a new project. This guy does that 100%. I want to one day be designing a set, then the next day go out to my construction site where my carpenters are working on a new house. I don’t know how I can get into that position but I will work tirelessly until I do.