CMU School of Drama


Friday, April 03, 2015

Phenomenal Theater: Maya Angelou Play In Development

New Pittsburgh Courier: Tavis Smiley is bringing Maya Angelou’s legacy to the stage in an upcoming play about the late renowned poet, novelist and activist’s life.

Angelou already has a hip-hop album, and a stamp, but the world is not done giving “Mother Maya” her flowers. The Associated Press reports that Smiley has teamed with director Kenny Leon to adapt the radio host’s memoir “My Journey With Maya.”

1 comment:

Aleyse Shannon said...

1. I will unapologetically ask that Broadway allow another black director, besides Leon to grace 42nd street with work from a black perspective.
2. I am interested to see what action points are going to drive this show forward and not simply let it turn into an exhibition of angelou. I want to see what makes the play compelling, suspenseful, action-filled.
3. The language will be undoubtedly beautiful I'm sure, how will they join her poetry and dialogue?
I WANT TO KNOW!! I'll be checking up on this later. 54-102 :: A