CMU School of Drama


Saturday, April 25, 2015

One less critic: How Hedy Weiss and New Orleans changed my life.

DC Theatre Scene: When I was in law school I did some acting. I wasn’t very good but I was a big guy with a big voice and there’s always room for that in theater. Sometimes I got paid and sometimes I didn’t, but between what I did get paid and student loans and my parents’ generosity I was able to keep myself in Rice-A-Roni for three years.

I liked acting more than I liked law school. And, generally, I liked actors more than I liked lawyers. I gave some thought to becoming serious about acting; dropping out of law school and learning and practicing the craft. But when I was invited to parties with actors they’d serve crackers and cheap wine. When I was invited to parties with lawyers they’d serve enormous mushrooms stuffed with crabmeat and sometimes break out the single-malts. So when I was admitted to the bar that was the end of any thought of an acting career for me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think what Treanor says about an artist having to love their work in order to be professional is spot on. "Love" - whether for person or thing - exists in a state of unconditionality. Without that lack of conditions so intrinsic to loving something, we would not have to commit and endure the bad times that seem to especially plague the arts. Loving one's occupation forces one to - as Hedy Weiss illustrated for Treanor - strive to better the thing that one holds so dear.

While it saddens me to see someone with such a comprehension of what has to go into pursuing an artistic career leaving the arts (especially from the DC area, my home), I am glad he knew when to leave. Though it is an oft-repeated notion, it is actual fact that one cannot pursue something in the arts for anything less than love. Not only is the money uncertain on a good day, but the insanity will cost you unless you understand it. Treanor's piece is a fitting farewell, and I think many could learn from his experiences.