CMU School of Drama


Friday, April 24, 2015

Kids’ Parties Offer Acting Challenges and Good Pay

Backstage: In 1989, Lisa Zelken was an actor looking for a day job that didn’t involve waiting tables. After playing a clown at a birthday party for a friend’s child, the former camp counselor and Gymboree teacher found her calling. For more than two decades, her company, Send in the Clowns, has been providing birthday party entertainment for children across greater Los Angeles. From superheroes to princesses to their trademarked Gentle Clowns, Zelken and her crew bring characters to life for kids and their parents.

2 comments:

Jason Cohen said...

I do not know about you, but when I was a kid I caused all kinds of problem for adults. When it game to each of birthday parties I knew exactly what I wanted, and how I was going to get it. Luckily, I never wanted a clown or people to come a show at my party (I wanted to go bowling or to an amusement park). Never the less, I have a ton of respect for those performers that work children’s parties. I can only image how annoying the kids are. The kids probably never want to cooperate, and as soon as they buy in they probably get distracted and then you are back to square one. There is a lot of patience that goes in to doing a job like that. However, I am sure the pay is super good, so who care about being annoyed for a few hours?

Sabria Trotter said...

When I was young, I was really unnerved by party entertainment actors. I knew they weren’t the actual characters and also I don’t think I ever experienced one that cared about their job in the way that this article’s subject does. They were not interested in the illusion. I do think it is a great opportunity to stretch your acting skills if you treat it with respect and commitment. It is also an awesome way for studio artist to get to stretch their creativity through face painting, portraits and balloon animals. Children also add an interesting angle to the job. While they do not have the problem with suspension of disbelief that adults do they do need you to exhibit a bit more whimsy then usual. All in all, Party entertainment is a high energy job, that allows and artist to explore their creativity and stretch their skills in a fun environment.