CMU School of Drama


Friday, April 03, 2015

David Bowie teaming up with Irish playwright Enda Walsh for stage show based on his 1976 science-fiction film

Independent.ie: The off-Broadway show will be based on cult 70s film The Man who Fell to Earth and will feature new songs written by Bowie alongside “new arrangements of older songs”.

The play, titled Lazarus, will tell the tale of alcoholic alien-turned-inventor Thomas Newton - who Mr. Bowie portrayed in the 1976 film.

The play is being produced by the New York Theater Workshop and will be directed by Belgian avant garde director Ivo van Howe.

1 comment:

Nikki LoPinto said...

I love the New York Theatre Workshop; I got an email the other day that announced their new season for 2015-16 and I can't say I wasn't surprised when I saw David Bowie's name on the list. I'm also embarrassed to say that I thought he had passed away! Anyways, as a fan of the NYTW, I have immeasurable faith that they're going to produce something that is really cool and interesting (if a little bit too out of the box!) and I'm excited to see what David Bowie has up his sleeve with this 'music theatre' schpeel. The last production I saw at the Workshop was miles and miles different from the first production I viewed, and I can only assume that this one will change the theater space in ways unimaginable. It would be so cool to be able to get into and see their processes, to watch the design team work their way around this complicated science fiction text and produce a cool play in a very small, 100-person space.