CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Broadway's Kinky Boots Welcomes Return of Tony-Winning Star

Playbill.com:

Billy Porter, who earned the 2013 Tony Award for his portrayal of unstoppable drag performer Lola in the Tony-winning hit musical Kinky Boots, returns to the Broadway production April 28 at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre.

Porter returns after a leave of absence from the production that began Jan. 27. During that time the Tony Award winner toured his concert act, which was also broadcast on PBS. Kinky Boots national tour star Kyle Taylor Parker stepped in for Porter during his absence from the Broadway production.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Look at this alumnus is action! Working it on and off Broadway. I am fully satisfied to know that he came from our school. Also, I very glad I got to see him in Kinky Boots when I was in New York at the time. I saw their win for the Tonys before I saw the show and I didn't think that this would've been a winning show. Even when I listened to the music, it seems like every cliché musical. But Billy Porter is by far the reason why this show was held together so successfully. He has such high energy and a great presence that it blows your mind to see this show. Without him, the show is just a funky show with bright colors. The same goes with another CMU alumni, Patina Miller. When I saw Pippin, she was the only good part about the show, not saying the show was fully bad, but she definitely kept my attention on the show and my overall experience.