CMU School of Drama


Saturday, April 04, 2015

April on Broadway is officially insane

www.timeout.com: The April crush of Broadway is nearly upon us, and this year it’s crazier than ever. Theater lovers are accustomed to having a rush of shows opening in the early spring, in the final weeks of the traditional theater season, but 2015 has been especially lopsided. No fewer than 15 shows are set to open in the three-week span from April 2 through April 23. That number represents nearly 40 percent of the entire 2014-15 Broadway season.

1 comment:

Drew H said...

I never realized that so many shows opened in April on Broadway. I knew a lot of movies released right before the cutoff for the Oscars but I didn’t know the same went for Broadway. I have never really been in the Broadway loop. I wouldn’t say I’ve been in the Hollywood loop either but the media tends to focus more on Hollywood than Broadway so for that reason I know more about the schedules in LA. It is almost a shame that so many shows open so close together because with the cost of a Broadway show few people will go see all those shows right away, but if they were more staggered it would be more plausible to see more shows. Yes shows run for a long time (hopefully) but people like to see them when they are new and before they close, in unfortunate circumstances. I realize that critics could have bad memories, but I hope this doesn’t continue to always be a trend and the Broadway season can spread itself out more.