CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Southern Renaissance ~ Spotlight: Raleigh, North Carolina

OnStage: A Renaissance. To some the mere word conjures images of fantastic marbled statues, a vast increase of interesting literary works, and developing thoughts of science that bridged the gap from a dark period of time into the modern world we enjoy today. To others, it was that time in history class where the names and dates one had to remember increased tenfold as supposedly some “cool” stuff happened. To some further others, it may be a time period or phrase that is incredibly clichéd anytime someone wants to talk about some place or something that seemingly is going in a new direction. Regardless of your personal take on the word, it’s undeniably what has been transpiring here in Raleigh North Carolina and it shows only signs of continued growth when it comes to the realm of performing arts.

2 comments:

Kat Landry said...

What a great article! My aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents actually live right outside of Raleigh (where my mother grew up and attended school), so I am familiar with the area. Since I've only actually been IN Raleigh to go shopping, though, I was not totally aware of the cultural upswing that it's on. I think it's really great that the city is being recognized for its growth and capacity for art and performance, especially for the sake of my actress cousin. I think there is definitely a lot to be said for the education in the area as well, as the article touches on. While it is not in the most convenient or popular space, Raleigh is definitely a strong (and getting stronger) place to be for science, medicine, theatre, film, and journalism. It'll be exciting to see how far it goes, especially with a community so willing to help it grow.

Paula Halpern said...

This article makes me so excited!!! I was born in Raleigh, North Carolina, and have lived there for my entire life. I've seen them open up main street, I've seen almost every street fair, arts festival, and convention; and I've gotten the opportunity to assist as a liaison during Pieces of Gold in Raleigh's Memorial Auditorium. Getting to see, first hand, all of the amazing theater that has made its way to the triangle area did so much to inspire me to become a designer. One of the best productions of Cabaret I've ever seen was in a small theater in Chapel Hill, and I've had some of the best working opportunities in Raleigh. My hometown is definitely turning into such an artistic and theatrical city and I hope I see it continue to grow.