CMU School of Drama


Saturday, January 17, 2015

Viable Option: A Fresh Look At Rechargeable Batteries

Pro Sound Web: I’ve been using rechargeable batteries in live production settings for more than eight years now, and writing about it for almost that long. In that time, I’ve come across three camps in the rechargeable battery debate.

The first group has used them for years, loves them and wouldn’t consider going back to alkaline batteries. The second group has never used them, though most have heard the horror stories and are leery. The third group has tried them and had bad experiences. The phrase, “I’ve been burned too many times, I’ll never trust them,” is one I hear often.

1 comment:

Alex Fasciolo said...

Batteries! So this article makes a pretty good claim for the use of quality rechargeable batteries. I agree with all of the points that were made, and found that though anecdotal, the author's evidence was well presented. Rechargeable batteries have a huge potential of being cost efficient, and there are examples of that efficiency being utilized by anyone who has used or owned a cordless power tool. The article does a good job of identifying the biggest roots of the issue, such as a lack of quality and misuse, factors that will plague any consumable product. I'm not a huge consumer of batteries, but if I were I would definitely make an effort into educating myself further because of this article