CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Skilsaw SPT67WM-22 7¼" Sidewinder Circular Saw

PTR: As a carpenter, my father Douglas had a circular saw in his tool arsenal. In fact, he had more than one because it was simply easier to go buy a new one than try to find his if it got buried in the shop. Perhaps he needed a good excuse to go shopping as many of us do. He would have loved the Skilsaw SPT67WM-22 7 ¼” Magnesium Sidewinder Circular Saw. While he wasn’t the most organized, his ability to cut a straight line was exceptional; A skill that I would struggle to achieve for several years.

1 comment:

Kimberly McSweeney said...

This is a very well thought out tool. All the ratings seem pretty solid, and I see no negativity about the tool coming from the author. I think the thing that stands out to me the most (of course) is the lack of the safety switch. I have found this safety switch to be annoying and inconvenient on most models of circular saw, except for the Makita blue-green skilsaw that comes in the crazy excessive 7-pack of tools they’ve been offering for about 2 years or so. That safety switch was more of a thumb operated lever that was angled upwards towards the thumb, so you still had total control over the tool while also being able to hold the safety. My main qualm about the lack of a safety button is that when handing a tool to a person, their first instinct is to hit the ‘go’ button, and the safety would keep the saw from actually spinning. But I guess the guard will protect them.