CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, December 30, 2014

How to Answer Behavioral Interview Questions

The Muse: You’ve reviewed your resume, practiced your elevator pitch, and reviewed a few stories you can share during the interview. All is well, and you’re feeling confident. And when the interviewer says, “Tell me about a time you disagreed with your supervisor,” you are ready to go and launch straight into a story about that one time you bravely confronted the director of marketing at your previous company about a new campaign you had a bad feeling about.

Okay, so maybe that doesn’t sound like you—yet. Let’s take a step back and talk about how you can get there.

1 comment:

Samantha Williams said...


These kinds of questions always send me into a bit of an internal panic. Usually the question is “Tell me about a time something went wrong, how did you handle it,” and that is so hard to answer. I always wonder if what I tell them will make it seem like I dug that hole for myself, or if they will disagree with my problem management, or if they will think I’m bad-mouthing the person who caused the initial issue. I always find that with these questions, transparency is good to have, but other people maybe don’t think the same. I think the tips this article gives could have really helped me out in past interviews. I never thought to think about what the interviewer was looking to get out of the question aside from a gauge of my conflict-management skills, but now looking back that could have been a good way to frame my story better. Also totally agree with their point about “finishing strong.” When I tell stories it is usually a whirlwind of information followed by an abrupt ending. I think it is good to realize that this is less of a story and more of a point you are making.