CMU School of Drama


Thursday, December 04, 2014

Dremel Micro 8050 Review

Pro Tool Reviews: Without a doubt, one of the most popular and successful line of consumer level tools has been the Dremel. There just seems to be no end to the accessories that expand what you are capable of doing with the high speed Dremel Rotary Tool. In fact, it’s so versatile that you’ll find some kind of Dremel tool in many pro shops as well. I’m taking the opportunity to look at one of the newest members of the Dremel family, the Dremel Micro 8050. This is a cordless Lithium-Ion model from the subsidiary of the Bosch corporation that promises the ability to do precision work. Let’s take a look at what the Dremel Micro 8050 offers.

3 comments:

David Feldsberg said...

If anyone is wondering what to get me for Christmas, this tool is on my list.

I agreed pretty much with every part of this review. It would be a very useful tool for engraving and polishing things but with such a tiny profile, I can see how it would be difficult to cut sideways into something with it. For that scenario you would need a much bigger cut off attachment, and a wheel of such size would most likely create too large of a torque requirement from the motor and cause it to shut down.
Which leads me to the most curious part of the Micro Dremmel, the auto-shut off feature. I don't think I can accurately decide whether or not this feature is a positive or a negative. Yes, it is great that the tool has the capability of protecting the motor against over usage, but I am weary of how annoying it might become to have the tool randomly turn off on me all the time.

Frank Meyer said...

At first I didn’t really see a useful application for this on the shop floor, but thinking about it a little bit, I think there could be some very good uses for this. I might even say that it would be a great tool for carpenters to carry every day.

First, the tool is shown in the photos to be very good at engraving. This might be the right tool for creating labels that can’t be painted over. That alone might make it worth carrying every day. Maybe it also has potential for quickly fixing a hinge mortises or deburring a hole.

I have a feeling this might be one of those tools that has a lot of uses that you discover while you’re using it on the floor.

Dremel Micro said...

I'm taking the opportunity to look at one of the newest members of the Dremel family, the Dremel Micro 8050. This is a cordless Lithium-Ion ... dremelmicro.blogspot.com