CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, November 26, 2014

The perils of the five-star review

Stage | The Guardian: A young friend went to The Book of Mormon the other week, a show she had been looking forward to seeing for months. But she said that the first 20 minutes or so were marred by the possibility that the show couldn’t possibility live up to her expectations. She was preparing herself for disappointment even as she watched it. Another friend bought tickets to see Wolf Hall a few months back. Yes, she had enjoyed it. Quite. But not nearly as much as she’d expected. The price of the tickets, the commitment to giving up an entire afternoon and evening, and the glowing reviews had all piled on the anticipation to such an extent that this was going to have to be a really astonishing piece of theatre for it to really deliver.

1 comment:

Albert Cisneros said...

This article was really interesting and 100% true. So many times I don't enjoy something as much as I thought I was because the anticipation building up to it was so elevated. We create this image in our minds that the real world can never live up to. Before I was in the school of drama I loved coming to a show here and not knowing anything about it and then being blown away by the production. I feel like now that I see the shows as they are being made and hear all the talk about them leading up to their opening I am not nearly as "awe-struck" as I used to be. I highly doubt that I will think anything is as amazing as I thought the falling walls were in Angels in America solely because that was such a surprise that I wasnt expecting. This is what happens when you work in a field that is all about the product and how it can amaze the audience by making them question how it was made.