CMU School of Drama


Saturday, November 29, 2014

Stage preview: 'Newsies' makes a headliner of Pittsburgh's Dan DeLuca

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: The morning after opening night, Dan DeLuca, the star of the national tour of “Newsies,” was in a Philadelphia hotel room, doing a phone interview with his hometown newspaper. He sounded wide awake, but he was still in his pajamas, he said, after the postshow party thrown by his employers, the theatrical arm of the Walt Disney Co.

“Last night was one of the most electric fun evenings I have ever experienced in my entire life,” said the young man from Peters who plays Jack Kelly, the leader of New York City newspaper delivery boys who defy powerful publishers and strike for the pennies taken from them to increase the newspapers’ profits. “Newsies” is based on the 1899 strike against the newspapers of Joseph Pulitzer and William Randolph Hearst that led to violence and eventually an agreement between the publishers and the kids who brought the city to a standstill.

The tour makes a stop at the Benedum Center Tuesday through next Sunday.

3 comments:

Drew H said...

It's pretty cool to see all the pittsburgh connections with this show. It's also always nice to hear a story about someone achieving their childhood dreams and doing something amazing. I have not seen newsies but I have heard great things and maybe I'll have a chance to see it next week when it opens in Pittsburgh.

Anna Rosati said...

This is so neat. I grew up very close to Peter's township, and I had several friends who attended the school and were involved in the theater programs. I tend to think that my community and the ones surrounding me in high school did not have very much support for the arts, and as a result artistic students are left to push themselves and find outlets outside the school in order to reach their full potential. To see that a student from Peter's Township was able to overcome the lack of height school encouragement and make it to Broadway is amazing and inspiring. I admire the driving passion that this boy must have had and home that many follow in his footsteps.

Sarah Pidgeon said...

The more I read News from the Real World, the more Iam starting to discover the incredible artistic ties this city has to the industry. Pittsburgh not only is "home" to many well known artists, but is also the birthplace to many plays, houses many theaters, and invites the artistic world with open arms. When I first decided to go to CMU I thought that the School of Drama was really the only place that people went to see good, live theatre, but the longer I live here, I am realizing that Pittsburgh is a bustling hub for theatre, art, and creativity.
I love being able to see shows, or read plays, or read about actors, directors, and playwrights, knowing that they have some strong connection to this city.