CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Lessons from Star Trek – around the world

sightlines.usitt.org: "...to boldly go where no one has gone before." Some of you know this quote as part of the signature monologue that began each episode of the TV series, Star Trek. Originally, it was "... to boldly go where no man has gone before," but an ever-expanding understanding of equality created that change twenty years later.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I was a "Trekkie" – a member of the then unofficial fan base and devotee of the show from its original run that began in 1966. I knew most of the characters and story-lines from each episode in ridiculous detail and for better or worse still retain some of that information.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Occasionally I find myself asking: What does USITT actually do other than host the convention? Do they actually exist during the rest of the year? I was vaguely aware that they organize workshops and manage some theatrical standards and standard practices, but I did not, and still do not know exactly to what extent this all is. In the article they talked about the training and education programs that they spend a lot of time organizing. What exactly are these for? and when are they?

Zoe Clayton said...

I don't understand the point of this article. Is it to congratulate the people who are apart USITT? What is it that USITT actually does? What do Trekkies and her once-trekkie lifestyle have to do with it? She states that she even freaked out her colleagues a little with her fascination and memories of her trekkie days, so I don't see a major connection other than "oh look there are trekkies at a convention, isn't that neat, I was once a trekkie." I don't think there was any clear communication over the purpose of this article. I don't think I am the intended audience for this article.