CMU School of Drama


Monday, November 24, 2014

Church Sound: Building Proper Gain Structure

Pro Sound Web: While I’ve written about gain structure before, I continue to run across people who don’t fully understand it. And that means one thing; I need to keep writing about it.

I actually understand why so many have a limited understanding of proper gain structure. It’s not glamorous like plug-ins or digital consoles, and there is really nothing new to discuss. However, if you’ve never gotten a good handle on how to properly set gains on your console, there is no time like the present to learn.

1 comment:

Mike Vultaggio said...

Articles like this are always fascinating because everybody seems to have a different way of setting up their gain structures. This in particular method seems to be closest to what I do, set the faders at unity, set gains to where they give me the highest possible level and mix from there. The difference is, after getting the most level I can out of them I have always then made adjustments at the fader level to make my mix sound the best. This way I could do things like he does and assign VCAs and mix from there. Even though most of my mixing situations have been on a digital console with digital trim I didn't know to use this as a technique for setting up your gain structure. This is something that I hope to be able to use in the future. One thing that confused me is the fader part of the article regarding fader resolution. This is something that I will look further into in my future readings.