CMU School of Drama


Monday, November 24, 2014

Artist Rob Prior Talks Creative Process And Future Projects

Comicbook.com: Since graduating from the Art Institute of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University and receiving a Master’s Degree in Fine Arts from the University of Toledo, Rob Prior has won several Airbrush Awards as one of the premiere photo-realistic airbrush artists in the world.

Prior has worked extensively in the games industry, for companies such as Steve Jackson Games, TSR, Wizards of the Coast, Battle Lords of the 23rd century and many others. He has also worked in the comis industry with Marvel, DC, Todd McFarlane, Kevin Eastman, Image Comics, and others, on titles such as Spawn, Terminator, Deep Space 9, Evil Ernie, Lady Death, Heavy Metal and many others.

3 comments:

Tom Kelly said...

I didn't find this article particularly interesting or enlightening. From what i know of Rob Prior i know he is a great artist. From the things he's worked on I'm sure he is very popular at comic con. I think this interview was more of a quick info session, one that would take about 5-10 minutes to conduct. Although he has some good comments they were really short(like 3-4 sentences) that really had no weight or deeper meaning. even his final word of advice is generic and doesn't seem personal. although the information he provides is informative to the entertainment industry it doesn't really add or change the way we look at our creative process.

Keith Kelly said...

I would have to generally agree with Tom on this one, that Rob Prior's Q&A session was short and brief, providing little meaningful feedback. This responses did a good job at restating many points that we hear occasionally, but was nice to see again. He said,"In short like a roller coaster, it’s fun, scary and exhilarating when describing working in this industry. His comment on laziness is something that I believe in, if you are lazy and lack passion, then your future is slim and disappointing. The people who come out on top often are some of the hardest working people who continue to push boundaries.

Unknown said...

An interesting piece on a successful artist and I am truly not really sure what to say about him. I guess what I am currently thinking of is our professional prep class about leaving the business. Discussing the drive that some people have to make it to the top and how other just do not have that drive. I do want to say it is not, at least to me, about love for the art but drive to get there. I liked part of his advice dream bigger then you thought you were able to, but work harder than you thought you had to? At the end of the day, I guess I just come back to I like people more then I like theatre, art, hiking, computers, or most things. People are what make up our lives and I get to work with people while making art, but People. Bottom line for me is working with People not working for the art and I see a different between the two.