CMU School of Drama


Monday, October 13, 2014

FCC takes steps to make room for 'white spaces,' wireless microphones

PCWorld: The U.S. Federal Communications Commission is taking steps to ensure that both current and emerging wireless devices don’t get left out when it reorganizes the frequency bands now used for television.

On Tuesday, the agency proposed actions on wireless microphones and on new devices and services that use the so-called “white spaces” between TV channels. Both types of devices use TV bands and will be left with less spectrum following the FCC’s upcoming incentive auction intended to shift some TV spectrum to mobile services.

2 comments:

AAKennar said...

Ok I am not sure what I just learned or what is actually going to happen. The impression from the article is not the impression I got from the title of the article, but you know my comprehension could just be down a few levels today. They did talk about the opening of some military and government stations, which will be helpful. Also white-space between different frequencies.

This topic in general is something that I have trouble fully comprehending at times. I always feel really suspicious of the FCC and when they start talking about this. Feels like when they keep trying to renegotiate the internet or how the internet is released to the public. Usually I am not a supper paranoid or conspiracy type of person on most things in my life. Just the government I have a pretty solid distrust for them, feel like if they are talking they are partially lying to you, but is that not most people? Most think about this……

anna rosati said...

As a person who works at a radio station and is on air fairly frequently, I am super conscious of the FCC's current restrictions, although I do not understand why some of them still exist. Some of them seem really arbitrary, like you cannot have calls to action or name prices of things. When bands visit, I have to remind them, "you can say we HAVE a show, but you can't say COME to our show." It's pretty silly. Many FCC rules originated surrounding WWII and were a result of radio communication interference or the red scare. People were not allowed to have strong opinions or language because there was so much fear in the world. Those rules were made about half a century ago and they still have not been changed. Despite the proposals I read about in this article, I, like Andrew, am skeptical of any of them actually being implemented.