CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Tidewater Opera Initiative: Small budget, big dreams

HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com: In an era when mainstream opera companies are struggling, a robust breed of small-scale presenters is rising.

The national trend of tiny-budget, artist-driven opera companies has landed in Hampton Roads in the form of Tidewater Opera Initiative.

Tidewater Opera, known by its initials, TOI – “toi! toi! toi!” is the backstage opera equivalent of “break a leg” – opens its season tonight at Norfolk Collegiate School’s Meredith Center for the Arts.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think that I often comment on articles about how opera is failing and I start off by saying that that while personally, I'm not hugely interested in opera, it does make me sad to think that it is dying out. This is the first I've ever read about these small-scale operas and I think that's a really awesome idea. I tend to wonder about operas that are struggling finically when they have such enormous budgets. I understand that traditionally, operas are done at this scale, but it's great that these companies are working to keep this medium alive through a more finically conscious approach. In some ways, I think tiny-budget, artist-driven companies could be producing much more interesting work anyway.