CMU School of Drama


Monday, September 01, 2014

Strangers will verbally deliver your messages with this app

Ars Technica: No matter how many emoticons you use, messaging apps (for the most part) remain a rather impersonal form of communication that fall somewhere between e-mail and phone calls on the formality scale.

Artist and actress Miranda July is hoping to change this with her new messaging app Somebody, which will send your missives not directly to your friend, but to a nearby human stranger who will relay the message verbally to its intended recipient.

1 comment:

Becki Liu said...

I think this is hilarious! I actually love having funny awkward interactions with strangers. (this includes a stranger randomly giving me a compliment or asking for directions... something along those lines... I don't like the creepy ones and the harassment which happen way to often to many people) I think the app is clever but also defeating it's own purpose. From what I got out of the article It's supposed to be a spontaneous message from a stranger that will hopefully make people smile, find the humor in it, etc. But by having the receiver check and ok the message loses the spontaneity of it all. I understand it's also more of a safety thing to because sending a stranger to greet your friend... well do you really know who that stranger is? Yeah, can be a little sketchy. So obviously, safety matters but a stranger telling you he/she likes what you're wearing compared to seeing oh, a strangers about to give me a compliment! And then meeting up to hear a stranger say "nice outfit!" I mean, come on... you have to admit, it kind of loses that excitement of the situation.