CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Sin City Opera’s ‘Magic Flute’ a dazzling experience

Las Vegas Review-Journal: My magical journey to see the Zappos-sponsored production of Sin City Opera’s “The Magic Flute on Fremont Street” in downtown Las Vegas began when I arrived beneath the giant mechanical praying mantis at the entry to Downtown Container Park. I was swept up into a warm-up session of aerobics with Mission: I’m Possible, an evangelical runners group that meets there each Thursday before a run to The Smith Center and back. We stretched our limbs to the booming spouts of flame from the monster mantis.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

When I think of Las Vegas, I think of almost every kind of entertainment except for Opera, excluding the Phantom of course. Many cities do Shakespeare, or fringe theater in parks for the public, but i cannot think of many places where opera moves out of its comfortable proscenium house to the unpredictable outdoors. The costume and style adaptations that were made to this production should wonderfully entertaining and alluring, as well as actually supporting the story, when so often if Vegas you only get the former.