CMU School of Drama


Friday, September 19, 2014

Meet The Filmmaker Exploring Physics With Haunting VFX

The Creators Project: Polish artist and academic Andrzej Dragan is a solitary force in both the scientific and creative communities—possibly the only quantum physics PhD who's also photographed David Lynch holding a chicken. Before earning his doctorate from Warsaw University and receiving grants and scholarships from the likes of the the European Science Foundation (ESF) and the Foundation for Polish Science (FPS), he was an acclaimed composer, winning several international music competitions throughout Europe. He began taking photos in 2003 while he worked on his thesis, and within three years had become a well-known photographer, including a nomination for a Cannes Lion in 2006.

2 comments:

Cathy Schwartz said...

I have to start by pointing out how much I love any sort of art which draws on science, or any sort of science which looks at art, because those two are not diametrically opposed, and I hate it when people think they are. I can also say that quantum physics is really, really, REALLY weird, and I think that anything which can start to convey just how weird this world we live in is is a good thing. I am also for anything which will make people more curious about science and the world, which I think these videos can do.
I have to admit, I think his other videos portray time dilation better than his time dilation video does. The video seemed disconnected from the physics idea it was drawn from. However, his physics #2 video does a great job of visualizing the idea from quantum mechanics where particles can exist in multiple places at once. As I said, the physics branching off of Newtonian physics is weird.

Sam Reynolds said...

I have to love when people who cross intellectual paths uses both to create something amazing. I think it really speaks to how everyone can be incredibly creative.