CMU School of Drama


Thursday, September 11, 2014

Entertainer Carmen de Lavallade takes a new direction at 83

TribLIVE: Some talent is too big to be contained.

As Carmen de Lavallade, now 83, looks back on her life as a dancer, choreographer, actress and teacher, she has enough memories to fill a book, or several books.

Instead of writing, she decided to pursue another avenue: a one-woman multimedia show.

“Carmen de Lavallade: As I Remember It” will be presented Sept. 12 and 13 at the Kelly Strayhorn Theater in East Liberty.

2 comments:

Christian Strange said...

Even though I am not familiar with de Lavallade's work, I still knew of her through her interaction with the famed dancer Alvin Ailey. It is wonderful to see an artist who never stops giving and sharing her art. I admire de Lavallade's perseverance and dedication to her craft because in the life of a dancer, their careers usually stop at the age of 30. This woman, however, did not give up what she loved just because of her age. Her choreography and performances captured many generations and I'm so happy to hear that she has not stopped giving and providing for the world of dance. When I grow older, I pray to have a fruitful career just like hers so that I can impact many lives just like she did.

Unknown said...

And after I just posted my comment on the previous articles about Carmen de Lavallade, not I'm really sad seeing this. I'm saying this again, this woman is so amazing. It's not easy, not every woman can maintain their beauty and health and their career and still look super gorgeous until this age. And the most amazing part is that her work still inspires people 40-50 years younger than her, and not only to her old fans (who are absolutely around the same age as her, and have been her fans for their entire life) this requires special skills and super positive attitude to be able to maintain this talent. She's amazing in every way, I'm sad that I missed her performance. *crying*