CMU School of Drama


Monday, September 08, 2014

Community meets to discuss future of August Wilson Center

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: If the standing-room-only crowd at the meeting about the fate of the August Wilson Center for African American Culture Saturday is any indication, Allegheny Common Pleas Court Judge Lawrence O’Toole might need a bigger courtroom later this month.

Judge O’Toole has a trial scheduled Sept. 29 to determine the seemingly arcane question of whether deed restrictions placed on the property by the city’s Urban Redevelopment Authority will remain once it is sold and continue until 2021

1 comment:

Emily Bordelon said...

I was assigned this theatre for my Scavenger Hunt project in Basic Design freshman year. It's sad to know that it isn't doing too well, but I will admit that I'm surprised. When I visited (disclaimer: it was not during their season) I noticed that there were very few people visiting too. There was a small art gallery, but it obviously wasn't drawing much attention. I believe there was only one other person, aside from security, who was there. While the building is very nice to look at, it lacked much attraction to the public. It's disappointing to know that there probably won't be a future for this theatre and arts center, but, as I said, it's not surprising.