CMU School of Drama


Thursday, September 11, 2014

Carmen de Lavallade remains in step

New Pittsburgh Courier: She is iconic. The epitome of style, grace and beauty, Carmen de Lavallade was destined for the stage although she would also be on the cover of fashion magazines or the runways of New York City, Paris or Milan. Her rise to prominence in a field usually reserved for Whites was in stark contrast to a civil rights movement still in its infancy. But through determination and talent that could not be denied, de Lavallade became more than a name on the marquee.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love and adore this woman so much since I saw her in several articles last year. She strikes me with her beauty and her perfect body gestures. She's a role model of a beautiful, healthy woman who doesn't try to look younger by wearing teenagers cloths and act 20 years younger and she actually is, or try to deny the fact that people gets older every year. She's the woman that looks so perfect on her age and that makes her amazing! I am sad that I am in rehearsals and not be able to go to see her in person. I wish I could.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! Carmen le Lavallade is the epidimy of dance art. Her style is so unique and glorious. I remember see a video of her dancing to the Austin Powers theme song, I believe it was called "Dear Quincy" in 1968. Just the way she swayed and connected to her partner was spot on. And what I really like about this women is how nice and her little sense of humor. She always plays around with you body and the people around her. She's someone that people strive to become. Yes she is talent... but there's so much more. I wish celebrities acted as she does. She truly takes a stand for women everywhere. If only I could see this performance of hers. I know it would be wonderful.