CMU School of Drama


Sunday, June 29, 2014

Yale Offers A Course That's Cross-Listed Between Physics & Theatre Arts

space.io9.com: Class is held in a dance studio equipped with a white board, and students are tasked with calculating their choreography and dancing their equations.
"The Physics of Dance" is run by Sarah Demers from the physics department, and Emily Coates from theatre arts. It's an introduction to physics and dance, classical and modern. It takes interdisciplinary studies and bumps it up a notch, not just teaching how physics can be used to analyze dance, or using dance to explore a science concept as in Dance Your PhD, but fully integrating a curriculum of both disciplines.

1 comment:

Ava Notarangelo said...

Honestly this seems like a very important class and I'm surprised that not many other places teach something like this. Honestly, growing up I've always been pretty bad at math and science and understanding why things work the way that they do as far as forces and physics and pushing and pulling, And even as I began to take physics classes that concept still never really got drilled into my brain, but understanding why forces move the way that they move did somewhat help me understand why my body would Move the way that it did at times especially when I'm working with Partners or using different levels such as on my feet and on the floor. understanding why your body moves the way it does and your position in relation to everything else is such an important Thing to know and I think if more people had that concept drilled into their heads, things would be a lot easier.