CMU School of Drama


Thursday, May 01, 2014

Five of the best: High-tech hammers

www.gizmag.com: People have been banging nails into things for nearly five and a half thousand years, if archaeologists are correct. And wood is such a versatile and abundant building material that we’re sure to be banging spiky bits of metal into it for thousands of years to come. But how similar is the hammer going to look at that stage? What is the state of the art in hammer technology? Are they still just flat-ended bits of metal on the end of sticks?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I never realized there were so many different types of hammers to do the same job and some that can do more than others. I mean, yes I realize that this is only five hammers, but for there to be a top five, there must be plenty more. Additionally, I didn't realize how much planning/engineering went into designing these things. I would say it doesn't seem like much, but obviously people discussed this, thought about what it should look like, and calculated things to figure out the shape. I'm sure it possible to have a design by random chance as opposed to having someone make it, but I doubt that happens very often.