CMU School of Drama


Friday, April 11, 2014

What Really Defines Good Bass In Sound Reinforcement?

Pro Sound Web: These days, concert loudspeaker systems can sound very good over most of the frequency range. Things have improved a lot in recent years. But to my ears, bass sound hasn’t made nearly as much progress.
How often have do you go to a show, particularly a fairly loud one, and feel that you’re listening to a war between the upper and lower halves of the spectrum? It all sounds pretty good at low levels, but when things get cooking, up comes the roar from below.

3 comments:

Mike Vultaggio said...

This article couldn't have come at a better time. Earlier today I was observing the Mac Miller sound check for carnival and I couldn't help but notice that the bass was just too heavy and overpowering the rest of the music. I thought at first that it was just because where I was standing was relatively close to the subwoofers but after walking around the field some more I realized that there was really no "good spots" on the field. As I thought more about it I realized that this author makes a very good point about how at a majority of concerts I have been to there has been the challenge of mixing the spectrum evenly. Now I understand that bass tends to pierce through the mix very easily and can be a nuisance for the engineer. I hope that in due time there will be advancements that can make the mix sound better.

Unknown said...

I've actually begun to notice that sound system basses are never quite right. However I've started noticing it in cars more so that stages. I guess I'm just too used to being deafened by live concerts. I also find it interesting that the author acknowledge that trance music should stick with the aggressive bass.

Unknown said...

Much like what Mike already said, I too was listening to Mac Miller's sound check and really did not find the bass very appealing. It was much to overpowering for my taste and really didn't sync well with the rest of the music. It can be tough for the sound engineer to have to balance out the directionality of the high frequencies with the longevity of the lower frequencies but hopefully with time, money, and more technological advancements, it will be easier to find the happy medium for these sounds.