CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Want to joust this Carnival?

The Tartan Online: As the 100th annual Carnival arrives with a bang, many on campus are looking back into the history of the legendary event. The Spring Carnival Committee, headed by senior statistics major Emily Hrin and senior lighting design major Jackson Gallagher, in particular is bringing back an assortment of historical traditions from the early years of Carnival.
In researching the history of Carnival, which is recognized by most Carnegie Mellon students as the best weekend of the academic year, Gallagher became interested in the traditions of years past. The two that piqued his interest were plank jousting and the class chain tradition.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

After hearing about the jousting from multiple Booth Committee members, I got ridiculously excited to have some good, muddy fun with some of my friends. However, come carnival weekend, I never found the mud pit. I'm not sure if this was due to the pit never getting approved by campus or I'm just too dumb to find it. However, I certainly did love the idea of reestablishing old traditions and I certainly hope that the committee follows through with stamping the classes into chains.