CMU School of Drama


Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Actor Martin Moran Reminisces About a ‘Titanic’ Revival

NYTimes.com: On a frigid February day in 1999, I gave my final performance as Radioman Harold Bride in the Broadway musical “Titanic.” I’d been offered a new role in a downtown play. It was harder than I ever imagined saying goodbye to the company; to the beloved duet I’d performed nightly with the ship’s stoker, played for most of the run by Brian d’Arcy James, who sang a message of love to his landlocked girl while I, a Marconi geek, waxed poetic over my telegraph. I stepped downstage for the last scene of the show, tears streaming, as we all waved farewell to the doomed ship and belted out the final notes of Maury Yeston’s luscious score: “Fortune’s winds sing God’s Speed to thee!” A few weeks later, after more than 800 performances, “Titanic” closed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think it would be really cool to work on a revival of this production. Personally I have always been somewhat fascinated by the sinking of Titanic so working on this show would already be an interesting experience. Titanic the musical also has very strong powerful music, I remember seeing it a the local dinner theatre and getting chills during the finale because the lyrics were so powerful.