CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, April 02, 2014

A push for more N.Y. 'writers' rooms'

Capital New York: When CBS bought the pilot she'd deliberately set in New York, Lisa Takeuchi Cullen had to negotiate with the network to staff the production in the city.
New York's TV-writing talent pool was shallow, she was told, but the former Time staff writer was skeptical: "While that may be true for known talent, I think there is a lot of untapped talent ... women, and minorities and people who look different than a lot of the writers in L.A., but who look like the rest of America," Cullen said.

2 comments:

Katie Pyne said...

Diversity in writing rooms is an important issue, but i think this article should focus more on the creative process and the actual "writing room." Despite the title, the article spent little time actually talking about the creative space that they work in. I know that the writers of SNL and the like have these think-tank kind of rooms. I think it would be interesting to explore this concept further and talk about how and why these rooms are so critical to the writing process. Additionally, I would want to know what makes or breaks working in that kind of situation.

Unknown said...

More New York writers rooms sounds like it has a lot of positive things going for it. A writers room just sounds like a good idea to me- collaboration is so beneficial to any artistic process. When I was younger, I actually used to picture how different aspects of the TV show I was watching might have been discussed in a writers room; I think it was just something that always sounded interesting to me. Aside from the creative benefits, which I had anticipated based on the title of the article, this could be huge for increasing diversity in the TV and film industry. We have seen a lot of articles on this blog about the lack of involvement of women and minorities that still exists but often goes unnoticed in TV and film. Here is opportunity to help solve that issue, and that's awesome.