CMU School of Drama


Friday, March 28, 2014

‘These Paper Bullets!,’ a Shakespeare-Beatles Pastiche

NYTimes.com: “Let me get this straight,” Billie Joe Armstrong said to the playwright and screenwriter Rolin Jones over drinks last year. “You’re going to rewrite Shakespeare, and I’m going to rewrite the Beatles?”
The improbable show Mr. Jones was pitching to Mr. Armstrong, the Green Day frontman, opens next week at Yale Repertory Theater with the title “These Paper Bullets!” and the helpful subtitle, “A Modish Rip-Off of William Shakespeare’s ‘Much Ado About Nothing.’ ”

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think credit really should be given to Billie Joe Armstrong for being so open to different ways music can be performed. Even if you aren't a fan of Green Day, I always think its cool to see bands turning their work into musicals. The cross between disciplines is awesome. A musician that my family listened to on long car rides a lot when I was little named Stew turned wrote a musical about his own life, called Passing Strange. Unlike American Idiot, it was all new music, but seeing their style turned into a musical was a lot of fun. 'These Paper Bullets!" sounds like it has a lot of things going on, but it could be really cool. I like the Beatles of course, but I'm in no way a purist, and always open to adaptations of Beatles music.

Mike Vultaggio said...

I think that it is awesome that so many artists are converting their music into stage musicals! As a sound designer who wants to go into concert sound I feel like for me this sort of rock and roll theatre that is emerging will be very cool to go into. The artistic aspects of theatre design paired with the large systems in concert design make for the perfect sound design for me at least. It would also give all designers some sort of bridge to jump either from concert to theatre or vice versa. And The Beatles.