CMU School of Drama


Saturday, March 22, 2014

RIDGID 45101 10" Jobsite Table Saw Review Tool Box Buzz

www.toolboxbuzz.com: In the interest of full disclosure, I have to say that the RIDGID R45101 10” Jobsite Table saw is NOT my favorite table saw. But that’s just because I’ve had a Delta Unisaw in my shop for almost two decades, so all other saws are fighting for second place. But there is one big problem I’ve discovered with my Unisaw. And when I say “big problem”, that’s exactly what I mean, because it’s BIG and heavy, and my doctor doesn’t recommend me lifting anything that weighs more than a quarter of a ton, even if I need a table saw on the jobsite.

3 comments:

Philip Rheinheimer said...

Having used this exact saw at one of the theaters I was working I can say that I agree that this is not my favorite saw. I also agree that the best part of the saw was the portability STUV stand. It was super easy to use and convenient especially solo. Easy to collapse and deploy. This led to the biggest downside for me which was stability. I will admit it was pretty stable but doing full sheets it tended to wobble a little and, although I wouldn't necessarily say it struggled, you had to be gentle when going through 3/4 ply. I will also say that by the time I got there they had already taken off the blade guard so I can't really speak to how well that worked. Overall, as a contractor saw, it did everything I expected it to do.

Thomas Ford said...

I just started my carpentry mini, and I'm excited to finally learn how to use a table saw. Up until now I never had the need or opportunity to use one. There have been some projects that I worked on in the past that I would have been really glad to use it for, but I was able to avoid it with careful use of a circular saw. When I was looking at saws though, this was continually pretty high on my list. It's portable, breaks down, and although it isn't great it's very decent and is somewhat more affordable than comparable saws.

Unknown said...

This seems like a pretty neat contractor saw. The portable stand seems especially well thought out in addition to the quick removal and installation of safety components. That being said, I question if it's easy mobility is also a flaw when it comes to cutting large pieces of lumber. I wonder if it starts to wobble or move.