CMU School of Drama


Saturday, March 22, 2014

Carnegie International drew attention worldwide

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: The 2013 Carnegie International closed its doors Sunday but not before thousands of visitors wandered through Carnegie Museum of Art to look at work created as nearby as Braddock and Homestead and as far away as Johannesburg and Beijing.
Between opening day Oct. 5 and Sunday, 156,451 people purchased museum passes. Those are good for both Carnegie Museums of Art and of Natural History and it's impossible to break out visitor numbers for one or the other. But surveys have found that most visitors go to both museums, said media relations manager Jonathan Gaugler.

3 comments:

simone.zwaren said...

I personally was very underwhelmed by the international when I went to see it a while back. At the same time the amount of people who came to see it is quite amazing, I suppose I am a minority in my lack of understanding for that contemporary art style. I personally see no creativity or talent in a room that have three television screens with cats on them or a massive pile of plaster sticks and streamers that stood outside of the museum.

simone.zwaren said...

I personally was very underwhelmed by the international when I went to see it a while back. At the same time the amount of people who came to see it is quite amazing, I suppose I am a minority in my lack of understanding for that contemporary art style. I personally see no creativity or talent in a room that have three television screens with cats on them or a massive pile of plaster sticks and streamers that stood outside of the museum.

Jess Bergson said...

I have to disagree with Simone here. While everyone is certainly entitled to their own reaction and opinions about the International, I think this exhibit was more than just how each individual reacted to the artworks. It is a remarkable achievement that the International included such a wide array of nationalities, backgrounds, and perspectives, both through the art presented, the artists who presented them, and the audience who viewed them. I personally had many positive emotional reactions to many of the pieces presented in the exhibit. I think it is interesting that one of the goals was to make humans have real human reactions to the art, because this is exactly what I experienced with 90% of the pieces at the International. Of course, with all art, there will be people who will love it and other who will hate it. But the International achieved a huge feat just in the scale of the exhibit alone.