CMU School of Drama


Thursday, February 20, 2014

Lunar Gala proves Carnegie Mellon gets fashion

The Tartan Online: Saturday night was the premiere and only night of Carnegie Mellon’s biggest annual fashion show, Lunar Gala, featuring dazzling designs created and modeled entirely by students. The theme this year was “Hypnôse,” with the tagline: “The Illusion is Beautiful.” The title and description fit the replaying eerie video that began with a girl standing alone in a wintry forest staring curiously at what appeared to be a multicolored hologram. Only with the culmination of the show did the audience discover what happened to the girl when she stepped into the hologram: her image became a series of hallucinations and warped images, meant to represent the inspiration for this year’s Lunar Gala. The show itself was grand, complete with high-energy dance performances from Carnegie Mellon’s very own Infra Dance Company and SoulStylz, as well as a catalog with descriptions of each line.

3 comments:

AnnaAzizzyRosati said...

mmmm this is way cool. I'm so upset I didn't go to this, especially because our very own Keith Kelly designed one of the pieces in the Red Bull sponsored line! From photographs and the article's descriptions, however, I looked fantastic. It's amazing to hear how students coming from such a wide range of majors find a way to turn their discipline into fashion, and the result is an incredibly unique and innovative fashion show!

Unknown said...

I absolutely loved seeing this show. Knowing that there's great minds throughout the school that has a keen eye for fashion is such an uplifting thought. I not only loved seeing my friends walking the runway but I also loved being able to see new designs. My absolute favorite line was Heteroptera. The cohesiveness of the line and the way that each item could hold its own weight was outstanding.

Becki Liu said...

I was so proud of Miriam! She is so talented and I was so happy to see that the whole school got to see it too! I loved her line. It was, hands down, my favorite and everything else couldn't match up in comparison! I think this is really a great chance to let students show their talents that most people don't get the chance to do! So happy for everyone! And yay for Miriam! I'm so happy for her!!!!!!

And I'm so proud of Keith Kelly for his red bull piece! Loved the hat too! ;)