CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Here's How 'The Lego Movie' Was Actually Made

Movie News | Movies.com: It sounds like a totally weird idea to make a movie about Lego. The blocky play sets have been a childhood staple for decades, but it’s not as though there’s a familiar Lego character or mascot who translates readily to the screen. That hasn’t deterred the company from bringing its blocky worldview to the land of video games, where titles based on DC Comics, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and other big-name properties have proven to be successes. Now, we’ll see if that mixture of blocks and irreverent humor can translate to the movies when The Lego Movie hits theaters this Friday.

2 comments:

Emily Bordelon said...

When I first saw this, I was skeptical and thought it was going to be really lame, but after I watched the preview (and saw this) I think it's going to be a really fun movie. I'd like to see it in theaters, and learn more about how it was made. I'm really impresses by the animation and how it looks just like that toy. My brother was always playing with legos when we were little, and I think he'd really enjoy this movie as well.

Adelaide Zhang said...

The animations and the technology behind them are really quite impressive. It's also really interesting how the way we interpret emotions allowed the animators to give such simple block people so much feeling. I do wonder if they had to do anything differently from "standard" animations in order to get the right effect, but it seems like in the end the creators are still doing the same thing that all movie makers do -- they're telling a story. The only thing different is the specific methods.