CMU School of Drama


Saturday, February 15, 2014

FIDM Art of Motion Picture Costume Design Exhibition

Tyranny of Style: A sunny day with a slight chill in the air, an average winter day in Los Angeles, and the perfect weather to celebrate the opening of the 22nd Annual Art of Motion Picture Costume Design exhibit at the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising Museum. Each year this exhibit celebrates the best of film costume design from the previous year. Tyranny of Style was given the privilege of viewing the exhibit early and with excitement in the air I entered an impressive presentation of costumes.

3 comments:

Becki Liu said...

Ahhh clothes are so amazing! I would love love love to see this exhibition!! These costumes are so gorgeous. I don't know what else I could possibly say about it. The details on the different garments make them all so gorgeous and different. I love how clothes can take you to a different world, a different time. Maybe I'm just too impatient but I want to design and make things that are extraordinary!! I have these visions in my mind of things I want to do and I want to make clothes!!! haha

Albert Cisneros said...

Becki! When we go to LA in less than 3 weeks we will definitely go see this! I think its so wonderful that they have this exhibition open to the public. So many people take for granted things like costumes and scenery, but this exhibit celebrates the beauty and magnificence that is Hollywood costuming. They have such a diverse line-up of clothes and its so fascinating to see the scope of clothing that is being made for film in the 21st century. Clothing, just like all other type of design is using the newest technology to create beautiful and innovative pieces of art. Can't wait to see this!

AnnaAzizzyRosati said...

Wow! These are gorgeous. I always underestimate the creativity and attention to detail that goes into a period piece. I get stuck thinking that the designer is simply recreating clothing in a historically accurate way, but seeing how carefully these costumes have been constructed reminds me how much thought goes into their creations. Even the smallest of details can hold great symbolism and reveal lots about a character's personality or tendencies.