CMU School of Drama


Friday, February 21, 2014

'Digital Mount Rushmore' created for Sochi Winter Olympics

InAVate: British architect Asif Khan has created a giant 26ft pinscreen using 10,000 coloured cylinders which can relay 3D images of visitors at the site of the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. The 8-metre-high structure is designed to function as a giant pinscreen where narrow tubes move in and out, transforming a flat facade into an interactive 3D surface capable of morphing into the shape of a face.

3 comments:

Akiva said...

This is a pretty cool piece of art. I think that the tech behind the piece is a more impressive then the design, but that's still pretty cool. I would be interested to know a little more about how the tubes move in and out. I am also interested in learning more about how they use the colors to represent the faces, because most of the images don't show color. I think that this display could be used to show some very interesting art pieces once the Olympics are over. I hope that this is not the last time that we see this sort of display used in public art.

Albert Cisneros said...

I think this technology is incredibly interesting and a move in a direction to make design and entertainment more interactive for viewers. This shows a new perspective on how capture images and make them intriguing and exciting. I think there is something about the simplicity in pixelated images like this that makes them beautiful and formal. I wonder what this technology and system will be used for after the olympics.

jcmertz said...

I saw this project first a couple weeks ago and I think it is really really cool. The use of it is not that impressive, as Akiva said, but the technology is fantastic. It reminds me of a large scale, colored version of this project from MIT. http://tangible.media.mit.edu/project/inform/

I think screens like these are a really neat possibility for the future of visualization that haven't really been considered at all until now.