CMU School of Drama


Friday, February 07, 2014

Asase Yaa brings West African culture to North Side

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: West Africa comes to Pittsburgh this weekend. Via Brooklyn.
It’s a performance by the Asase Yaa African-American Dance Theatre, presented by Pittsburgh’s Kente Arts Alliance, Saturday evening at the New Hazlett Theater on the North Side.
For 13 years, Asase Yaa has been spreading West African culture through song and dance. Though the group does much of its work in its home of New York, the dance company does tour — though not every year.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm amazed the group is able to bring 17 artists to Pittsburgh as part of the performance. I am always interested in contemporary performance art from other cultures so this sounds really cool. I think often times we have a notion of what art from other cultures is like that is usually inflated and unrealistic so this is a great opportunity to educate those who are willing to learn.

Becki Liu said...

This is super cool and should be really amazing (especially since they're based in NYC! woot woot!) African dance is so beautiful! I love the different aspects of different cultures, especially dance and music! My mother studied ethnomusicology in college and I grew up with a lot of music and instruments from different countries. I was always jealous of the fact that she got to travel and experience the things that she did... I want to travel like that too. I want to see new things, experience different cultures. (I am completely diverging from the subject. Anyway, I would love to see this. I say that about every show and then I never have time to see anything.

Maybe I should put that on my "where do I see myself in 5 years"... travel the world... or at least begin to.