CMU School of Drama


Thursday, February 13, 2014

Annual Lunar Gala shows CMU students' fashionable side

TribLIVE: The clock strikes midnight as models finish their walk on the runway.
They've been practicing their struts since October at University Center in Rangos Hall at Carnegie Mellon University in Oakland.
The students will be wearing clothing designed by their peers, most of whom are not studying fashion. They are focusing on other curriculums, such as engineering, computer science and robotics.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is really cool. I heard about this at the beginning of the year, and I went to the designer meetings before the portfolio submissions. It looks really interesting to put on. I might actually submit something next year, but this year I was too busy. There is actually a downfall to this: you have to buy all your own materials and make everything yourself. I will hopefully have more time next year if I make it past the reviews. I honestly didn't know that it was made to celebrate the Chinese New Year, and I don't think that the organizers know either. It'd be really cool if they advertised this more.I think it is really cool to have a fashion outlet since we don't really have a fashion design major or section for academics. I hope that this continues forever.

Emily Bordelon said...

I know Keith has been working really hard on his piece for Lunar Gala. I'd love to have seen the show (but I was in tech) just to see what people made. I'm sure it would be great to see, assuming all the designers put in as much effort as I've seen Keith do. The pictures are really neat and some of the pieces look like they could be in professional fashion shows. It's great to see creative minds coming together to make something for the whole school to have the opportunity to see.