CMU School of Drama


Thursday, January 30, 2014

Stylebook Snapshot: Pittsburgh debutante designs her own dress

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Sarah Deiseroth, 17, of Fox Chapel was bored by the full-bottomed, strapless ball gowns common to cotillions.
"I didn't really find anything that caught my eye," she said about shopping for a formal white dress to wear to the annual charity Cinderella Ball, held Saturday night at the Omni William Penn, Downtown. "I didn't want something that I knew a lot of girls would be wearing."
The Shady Side Academy senior decided to design her own, with some help from Kenneth Chu, costume shop manager at Carnegie Mellon University's School of Drama.

2 comments:

Emily Bordelon said...

Not only does she look stunning, but she can claim her own design. It's great that girls are not simply accepting what department and specialty stores have to offer. When I went to formal dances and had to shop for dresses, I always felt slightly limited, though a bit overwhelmed, by the repetition of the same dress styles. For Halloween, I almost always had a homemade costume; I enjoyed how it felt to have something that was entirely mine. I hope this girl had a wonderful time and felt happy in her dress she designed. She looks beautiful and should feel proud of her design.

Unknown said...

This is awesome. I know someone who went to these things throughout high school. She would always spend thousands of dollars on a dress that she would only wear for one night. Sometimes she didn't even look that good in the dress to be completely honest. This girl wins by not only making her own dress, but looking com completely gorgeous. This proves that you know how you look, and that by putting your heart into your work it will show.