CMU School of Drama


Friday, January 31, 2014

Pittsburgh Public Theater's production 'Company' looks at N.Y. marriages

TribLIVE: When Stephen Sondheim's “Company” debuted on Broadway in 1970, it was revolutionary, Ted Pappas says.
It was the first plotless musical, and its story was circular, not chronological.
“It dared in its subject matter, tone and structure, and it succeeded,” says Pappas, who is directing and choreographing the Pittsburgh Public Theater production that begins performances Jan. 23 at the O'Reilly Theater, Downtown.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think this article hit on everything that makes me love this show. It hits on all the ups and downs of marriage and relationships, including parent-child. I first saw this show in the movie/recorded stage form when I was a freshman in high school. The songs were so catchy, that I knew all the words before I even understood the full meaning behind it. That's not to say that I don't know the whole marriage side. My parents divorced when I was seven, and I matured far past my time and understood things that my older sisters never could quite get. A few of the songs were ironic in the context of my life so they have stuck with me throughout. I am glad to see this director want to put a modern feel to it. As great as the show is, more of a crowd tends to gather when a show is in a modern setting. I hope the meanings behind the words reach more people.

Sabria Trotter said...

This sound like such an interesting idea. Living in New York, you encounter so many types of relationships and people with interesting takes on what it means to be married, that Company perfectly embodies the culture. Usually, I am not keen on reinventing a play that still speaks to people's current situations, but in this case I think that the update is worth it. There is so much to be said about the evolution of marriage in the city and I can't wait to see how the use of Company to describe it works.