CMU School of Drama


Saturday, January 25, 2014

Copyright Week: If We Want To Get Copyright Right, It's Time To Go Back To Basics

Techdirt: All week we've been posting stories for Copyright Week, discussing important elements of copyright law that are at risk of getting trampled or destroyed in the effort to reform copyright. These are issues that will be squashed almost entirely if we leave it to the lobbyists to hash out what a new copyright law looks like. Today is the final day of Copyright Week, which happens to coincide with the second anniversary of Internet Freedom Day -- the day that the internet spoke up and said NO!! the last time a group of lobbyist sought to change copyright in dangerous ways, with SOPA/PIPA.

3 comments:

jcmertz said...

I completely agree with a lot of the ideas proposed in this article. I am a big believer in the need for copyright reform, and an advocate of Creative Commons and open source movements. More articles like this one need to be published to get people fighting for copyright reform so that the government will make the necessary changes.

Unknown said...

So, I'm not even going to attempt to say I keep up with politics and political issues, but I am vaguely aware of hot issues like copyright and patent laws due to increased distribution and low cost of reproduction (ie the internet). I also, know how convoluted copyright and patent law is. That being said, I do agree with a lot of what this article says and it does make a lot of sense. However, I do not know enough to say more than that...

Unknown said...

Wow, this guy totally nailed it. Brushing all the political battles and complexities aside, these points are the ultimate streamlined guidebook for what copyright protection should be about. The section about content vs. technology really resonated with me. I feel like all the time in the news I read about large companies complaining how the internet and digital distribution platforms are ruining their business, yet at the same time they rely on the same infrastructure to generate revenue. I hope more people in positions of authority get into their head what the author is trying to say!