CMU School of Drama


Friday, January 31, 2014

Audio Technology Redefining Art

Pro Sound Web: Theatrical productions have been staged in many forms and venues over the years, ranging from traditional proscenium arch theatres to outdoor Shakespearian-inclined stages, from theaters-in-the-round to “black boxes,” and plenty more.
But I recently checked out something altogether different, a new avant-garde opera production entitled Invisible Cities that was staged inside the general transit area of Union Station in downtown Los Angeles.

2 comments:

a said...

This is such a neat concept! In fact, it reminds me of Joe Mendick's brilliant playground piece, 'The Schlieffen Plan.' For his piece, he pulled four random audience members up to the stage. They then each put in headphones and proceeded to carry out the instructions they heard over their speakers. The headphones told them what lines to say and what actions to do when. The effect was not only hilarious and absurd, but it was kind of amazing! Joe and the artist in the article made great, theatrical use of technology,

Mike Vultaggio said...

Though I am not the biggest artist in the scheme of the sound world, I do love me some technology. I think that from a sound technician point of view I do love the idea that the advances in technology do help create a better artistic product. Finally, I'm sorry this comment is so short however it is 5:59 so I must submit it and hope for the best but I completely understand if its not counted, thank you for reading this.