CMU School of Drama


Thursday, November 28, 2013

Five Things I Learned While Teaching a Class on Arts and Labor

hyperallergic.com: In August and September I facilitated a class focused on labor issues within the arts. Specifically, we looked at how and when artists receive or don’t receive payment for their work, and the broader implications of compensating artists. We looked at examples in the US going as far back as the 1850s, but focused most of our attention on recent history and contemporary practices.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The most important lesson that I felt this article covered was trying to define the success or failure of an organization. I really thought this is an important lesson to draw away from art because I never think anything we do has an immediate impact. If you think about the great turn of a century painters they often didn't get recognized until after their deaths. This is often the case with many artist and part of being an artist. Our works do not have immediate effects but instead slowly warp and change the landscapes we live in. I often like to think of Philip Pullman when I need to describe this because as he puts it art is School of Morals where we learn by watching, listening, and looking. It is a place where we learn without having to consult guides or scriptures.